Gino Sarfatti was born in Venice in 1912 and studied aeronaval engineering at the University of Genoa. From 1939 onwards he worked in the lighting sector and set up Arteluce which soon became a national and international reference point for the modern architecture movement in lighting. During his thirty years of activity, Gino Sarfatti designed and produced over 400 luminaires and carried out non-stop research into innovation as regards typology, materials, production technologies, light sources, technical lighting effects and design aspects. In the course of their work, Gino Sarfatti and Arteluce won numerous prizes and awards including the Compasso d'Oro in 1954 and 1955, and the Honorary Diploma of the Milan Triennale. Arteluce was also a meeting place and an important forum for many of the leading Italian designers in the 50s and 60s. The prestigious Arteluce shop in Corso Matteotti was designed with M. Zanuso in 1951 followed, 10 years later, by the shop in Via della Spiga designed with V. Vigan�, a lifelong friend. Gino Sarfatti died at Gravedona in 1984.